After two weeks of careful tracking, I finally have my numbers for my daily water use. I:
- Flush the toilet 5 times a day and have a 13 litre toilet
- Wash my hands and/or face 7 times a day and run the water 15 seconds each time
- Shower 3 times a week for 9 minutes
- Wash the dishes once a day and run the water for 2 minutes each time
- Use 3 litres of water a week for cooking
- Brush my teeth twice a day and run the tap 30 seconds each time
- Run the water about 3 minutes a week for shaving
- Clean 2 loads of laundry per week with a standard washing machine
So, although my water usage isn't nearly as high as the Canadian average, it is much higher than the Guelph average. To put my water use in a better perspective, in the UK the average water consumption is 149 litres per day, in China 86 litres per day and in Mozambique only 4 litres a day (Source: Data 360)
I will admit I am quite ashamed of my water consumption. It's hard to see how much water one really uses in a day. But what to do? Well, thankfully there are many ways that you can conserve water. As of today I am officially in water warrior mode, I will post again with updates soon!
Ta-ta for now!
Your Water Warrior,