Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let Me Introduce Myself!

Hello (so far nonexistent) Readers!

My name is Erin Garbett. I'm an Environmental Sciences student at the University of Guelph, and am very passionate about conserving water. We've all heard that "water is going to be the next oil" and that "the next wars are going to be fought over water". Although alarming, these statements give us very little in way of a time frame, or exactly how much water is left. Although I can't give you those answers, I'm going to try my best to give you some other information. Over the course of my summer (May-August) I'm embarking on an adventure to use as little water as possible.

My plan in theory is simple and consists of 4 easy steps.

Step 1. Find out how much water I use in a regular week.

Step 2. Learn about ways of conserving water.

Step 3. Use these methods to save water and record how much water I save over 4 months.

Step 4. Publish these results as they occur.

In practice this plan will likely not be so simple but I'm very excited to get started! As I go along I will also be posting articles, videos and anything else about water conservation, as well as posts that settle questions such as:

- Should I fill the sink up with water to wash dishes or let the water run a bit for each one?
- Can't we just desalinate water from the ocean?
- What water-saving technologies actually work?
- How much water is used to make a pint of beer?

All in all it should be an exciting and challenging summer! Currently I'm doing research about what information I'll need to record each week to determine my water usage, as well as exactly how I'll be able to save water over the summer.

Approximate start date: April 24. Until then I will be posting some articles for your interest.

Take care and spread the word!

The Water Warrior,

Erin

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with this very important project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing how it goes and applying some of your conservation methods to my own life! :)

    ReplyDelete